Not to over pontificate, but I was touched by the effect of a simple hand knitted gift from a complete stranger. Her utilitarian gift of baby booties reminded me of our basic connection as humans. We all live, we all die, and somewhere in between, we try and prepare the next generation for the ups and downs of life.
Sunday, December 5, 2010
A Sweet French Lady Makes Some Booties
Back in October, my husband and I were able to take a babymoon to France. We had a great trip and I would definitely encourage incorporating a babymoon into any pre-baby planning process. While we were in Toulouse, we were sitting outside one of the many fabulous cathedrals watching the city pass by. I was knitting, the husband was reading and an elderly lady, hair akimbo, crooked teeth and gentle eyes, started walking in our direction. I smiled at her (typical American) and she smiled back, came up to me and asked me, in French, if I was pregnant. I responded affirmatively and we carried on a bit of a conversation. Eventually, after asking if I was having a boy or a girl, she reached into her bag and pulled out a pair of knitted baby slippers for my upcoming baby. I was quite surprised and also very touched. She said that she was a grandmother and had a lot of time for knitting and she liked to welcome newborns into the world with knitted gifts. I profusely thanked her and she went on her way. After she had left, I kicked myself for not getting an address where I could send a photo of the baby wearing her gift.
Not to over pontificate, but I was touched by the effect of a simple hand knitted gift from a complete stranger. Her utilitarian gift of baby booties reminded me of our basic connection as humans. We all live, we all die, and somewhere in between, we try and prepare the next generation for the ups and downs of life.
Not to over pontificate, but I was touched by the effect of a simple hand knitted gift from a complete stranger. Her utilitarian gift of baby booties reminded me of our basic connection as humans. We all live, we all die, and somewhere in between, we try and prepare the next generation for the ups and downs of life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
oh, what a lvoely and unexpected gift!! They are so cute.
ReplyDelete